Monday, May 19, 2008

7 days to go! Yikes.

I don't think anyone likes to fly these days, but I really don't like to fly. In fact, I hate to fly. H-A-T-E. Capital letters. And in one week I have to fly to Atlantic City for work. Oh the joy. I am already "worked up" about it to the point that I am having nightmares about it.

I used to fly regularly for work (Chicago, San Fran, Seattle) and just got to the point where I couldn't stand it anymore. 9-11 didn't help. And the last flight I took (Oct 2004) was during a hurricane so everyone was in a tizzy and the weather was horrible. I took a couple of Xanax, followed by two beers, and made it to my destination (New Orleans). However, three days later, when I was supposed to fly back to Florida, I couldn't do it. I totally freaked out. I ended up renting a car and just driving home!

That was my last flight. Yup, four years ago! Prior to marriage. Prior to kids.

Someone asked me the other day why do I hate it so much? I think there are several reasons. First, I get dizzy/vertigo (even if I take Dramine). Second, I hate the turbulance (and I have had my share of bad flights!). Third, I hate to just "sit there" (I am probably un-dx'ed A.D.D!).

But as my good friend Tina tells me, "Jen, you are really limiting your life if you decide to never fly again." And I know she is right.

So, over the next few days, I will share my nervousness pain and agony with you as I try to prepare myself, mentally and physically, for this flight!

2 comments:

Jenna said...

I feel your pain! You know I hate it too, so I can't offer any words of encouragement...other than the fact that I've always arrived safely to my destinations! Good luck!

nola said...

Flying is nothing but a pain in the arse these days. But your friend is right--you'd be limiting yourself too much if you didn't fly. Try not to think too much about it.