Saturday, May 10, 2008

Cajun Cooking (When I have to cheat)

Many of you don't know that I am originally from South Louisiana. I have been in Florida for over 11 years--gosh make that 12 yeas next month. I get home sick quite a bit, especially for the Louisiana food.

Luckily, I am a pretty good cook. (My hubby has gained about 20 pounds since meeting me four years ago--shh!). But, I have to admit that lately I cheat. Instead of making "homemade" dishes, I am finding several prepared box kits that help.
Here are a few of my favorites.
The right etouffe mix with just the perfect amount of seasoning
--my newest find (thanks Dad)!

I don't need beignets when I have Bruce's pancake mix!

Zatarain's Jambalaya
(Hint: Add a small can of tomato sauce, 1/2 cup water, & an extra cup of white rice)

Best hush puppy mix - light not heavy! (add a little chopped onion--yum!)

Can't grill without this stuff (good in crockpot with meatballs, too!)


My biggest suggestion to other cooks is get you a bottle of this stuff: Tony Chachere's Roux and Gravy Mix . I add it to everything--gumbos, pot roast, soup, etoufee, etc!

2 comments:

nola said...

Those are good "cheats." I lived a yr in FL and was surprised that FL can be surrounded by water and have such little seafood in its restaurants. Lots of good chicken wings, though :)

Amelia said...

I can't wait to see if our store in NC carries any of these! Thanks for the tips :)