Thursday, November 13, 2008

Layaway Makes a Comeback

I have heard on the news recently that some stores are going back to the old "layaway" system as an alternative to credit cards. I LOVE IT!

In fact, I remember when I was 14 years old and really wanted this pair of denim jumpers. They were the "in" thing and costs $70 for the brand I "had to have". So mom brought me to the store, helped me open my layaway account and over the following few weeks, I paid them off.

Today I visited the web site for Kmart Layaway. You plug in your zip code and it tells you what stores in the area are participating. It then shows you which items are available. (AND let me add that the web site is already offering "black Friday" prices NOW!)

“Layaway is also a great way to not only start shopping early and find great selections at Kmart,” said Mark Snyder, chief marketing officer, Kmart. . “It also allows our customers to spread their payments over time and better plan their holiday spending.”

Click Here
I have finished all the "Santa shopping" for my two kids, but am considering a new television for hubby for Christmas. I haven't shopped for a TV in years so am truly amazed at the price of new flat screen TVs!

I don't have the cash to buy it today, but I don't want to charge it on a credit card, because (a) he'll see the bill and the surprise will be ruined and (b) I don't want to pay interest rates. So the Kmart Layaway program may be PERFECT for my Hubby's Christmas gift!!

Click Here

Post?slot_id=

7 comments:

The Heckathorns said...

It's the best idea out there, especially during these times we are in now. We have layaway at the Military exchange, but i'm going to do some shopping at Kmart too. :) I've got 3 paychecks till Christmas!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Oh how I remember the layaway. Back when I was more of a shopper. And I haven't used a credit card in years so this is a great idea.

ali said...

My sister just told me this morning that Sears is doing layaway for the holidays too!

tollesons4him said...

That would be great buy all of our Kmart's closed in this area :(
Now, we do have a sears so may be checking into that.

Tammy said...

When I was in college I worked the Wal-mart layaway. I can't believe you have your Christmas Santa shopping done! I am so jealous. I haven't even started.

Allyson and Dave said...

I remember putting a Punky Brewster doll on layaway when I was like 7 years old. It cost all of $20 but my Mom refused to buy it for me.

Bayou Belle said...

I was in 10th grade when I layawayed a very tacky leather jacket for $120. I was a waitress at Ponderosa and diligently paid it off. My mom was furious with me but in retrospect she should have been proud of how I was responsible enough to do it myself.

Anyway, I had that jacket until a few years after I got married and we moved. My hubby pulled it out of the moving box and laughed at it and couldn't believe I kept it. I then reached down and pulled out his mustard yellow leather jacket (stained and all!) from high school and said, "I'll get rid of mine if you get rid of yours!"