Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Last Minute Cookies For Santa

This recipe is super easy, and I think the dough is easier (than sugar cookie dough) to work with. But note you need to chill the dough overnight. Santa will LOVE them!

Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup white sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 (3 ounce) package cream
cheese, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, butter, cream cheese, salt, almond and vanilla extracts, and egg yolk. Beat until smooth. Stir in flour until well blended. Chill the dough for 8 hours, or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough 1/3 at a time to 1/8 inch thickness, refrigerating remaining dough until ready to use. Cut into desired shapes with lightly floured cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Leave cookies plain for frosting, or brush with slightly beaten egg white and sprinkle with candy sprinkles or colored sugar.
4. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until light and golden brown. Cool cookies completely before frosting.

8 comments:

Kati Sue* said...

They look yummy!! We are making out cut-out cookies tomorrow!!

Just The Girl said...

yummy...

Farmer*swife said...

This sounds great! I just need to pick up some cream cheese and eggs!

Thank ya' Ma'am!

Ali said...

Cookies with cream cheese in them? That sounds like my kind of cookie!

Live.Love.Eat said...

THOSE are adorable lady!!!!!
Merry Christmas. Hope you're all feeling well!

Farmer*swife said...

'Kay, made the dough and it is Yum-Yummy! I love recipes with cream cheese in them, though my tummy doesn't always love the cream cheese as much as me.

I'm going to speed chill in the lower drawer of my fridge so maybe we can roll some out tonight! I'd like to have them finished so I can make a last minute shipment tomorrow!

Thanks Gal!

Leslie said...

Why is it that your "last minute cookies for santa" look so much better than my slice and bake ones? :) We took the easy way out this year! Maybe next year I can use your recipe!!

Toni said...

Those sound yummy!