Friday, December 19, 2008

Our Horrible Economy Has Me In the Dumps!

It's Friday, and Christmas is just a few days away. But instead of feeling cheery and excited, I am feeling kind of down. I think the economy has me worried.

Just a few days ago, I was thinking to myself, "You know the news keeps talking about tough times but I haven't felt it yet, thank the Lord." But now...yea, not feeling so confident.

A friend of mine works at FedEx, and if you saw yesterday's news, you know the company is cutting salaries across the board by 5-percent and no longer matching 401k funds. OUCH. Another friend of mine, a respected attorney, will soon be losing her job. AND, I have heard rumors that my hubby's employer will start lay-offs soon too. Times are scary.

Realization hit me today. The economy won't improve overnight.

I am not sure how I can cut my family's budget to save a few bucks. We already live pretty tight. I don't have a gym membership, or a maid, or a lawn service. I already buy "generic" at the grocery store.

Is there something I am missing? What have you done to save a few dollars?

12 comments:

Ashley Griffin said...

the same as you... just make a budget and stick to it. we did get rid of our land line and go to just using our cell phones. that saved about $55/month and if necessary, we could cut cable, internet (ouch), watch how often we drive to town, all the extras. thank goodness we aren't there yet.

the best thing is that the state of our economy, the country and our personal state, is not a shock to God. he has a plan and we just have to trust it!

P.S.He loves you.. said...

Spend less..pray more..it's all gonna work out in the end.

And right now I'm not going to dwell on it..no should should.

Count your blessings!

Just The Girl said...

I am in the same boat, we have cut so much and there is nothing left to cut. We both have full time jobs but are having a hard time too. I work for a construction company and we really have no work for 2009 and I am so hoping I can keep my job!

It is all so scary and I worry about it like crazy.

The Mrs. said...

I tagged you!

Scarlet O'Kara said...

We hardly ever eat out anymore and that has improved not only our bank account, but also my cooking skills and both of our waist-lines!

It isn't fun to try and live on less, but after a bit of time, you realize that things are still going to be OK as long as you have your family, friends, and faith.

Kati Sue* said...

I create my weekly menus based on the sales at the stores... and then I clip coupons to match. I rarely buy "generic" products b/c I get the "good stuff" at way lower prices. I can buy $150 worth of groceries for $75-100... and I am working that!


Our gym membership is paid for by our health insurance.

Allyson and Dave said...

At least you know you are not alone in feeling this way. I think you just have to forget about it for a few days and enjoy Christmas.

tollesons4him said...

We bring out lunches to work so we do not eat out! We have basically gone to just our cell phones. We only have a land line for just the internet. But I am like you this whole economy hurting is really bothering me too.

Live.Love.Eat said...

I'm sorry things are hitting home for you!

amy said...

It is so refreshing to read how so many of the comments trust in God to get them through these tough times! I believe that God will provide and try not to stress about money!

Petula said...

Well, I click coupons a lot! I even try to get them for retail stores - not just food and household items. If I or the children need clothes I only purchase during sales (it's way cheaper than Goodwill) and we eat out about two to four times a year. And, like you, I buy generic brands... oh, also shop at Wal-Mart. That's not too bad 'cause I love that store.

adlibby said...

I know how you feel... we haven't been personally affected (unless you want to look at our 401K, and I don't!) but I still worry... a lot! We are cutting back on luxuries like eating out, spending less for Christmas, and praying that my hubby stays employed. I'm just nervous enough that I may go back to work after the New Year. I've been a SAHM for years now and just this year have both my girls in school... we'll see what the New Year brings. Best of luck to you!