Thursday, February 26, 2009

What happened to "Sunday best"?

Growing up, my father would never let us wear blue jeans to church. Occasionally, he would allow us to wear pants but usually insisted that my sister and I put on a dress for service. He called it our "Sunday best."

Yesterday, as I sat down in church for the Ash Wednesday service, I was amazed at how some women dressed for mass.


A lady in front of me actually wore her gym attire to church. She looked like she was ready to run a 5k.


Now I know I should be thinking, "Hey, at least she went to mass," or "Who am I to judge her choice of clothing?", but instead I am thinking "What ever happened to Sunday best?".


As I looked around, I noticed two other women who were ready for yoga class.


Maybe I am old school, but I believe that some etiquitte--fashion etiquitte--should be up held in a place of worship.


Here are a few suggestions:
1. If you do wear jeans, please make sure there are no holes or frayed hems.
2. Don't wear your tennis skirt or gym pants to service. You can take five minutes to change from your church clothes to your workout clothes once you arrive at the gym.
3. Men, please remove your baseball cap the minute you walk into a place of worship.
4. Don't wear your beach flip flops. (This goes for all of us, young and old.)
5. Moms, please don't let your teenage daughters wear short skirts and dresses to church. Watch the length.


Dad, you were right. Yet again!

15 comments:

Farmer*swife said...

Agreed, agreed, and agreed.

lifeinbeverlyhills said...

I'm on the same page as you. It drives me NUTS...

Kristen said...

Amen Sister! Seriously, drives me nuts too! :)

Live.Love.Eat said...

I have seen a lot of this too. while I think that gym attire and baseball hats are not cool for church I do think it's ok for kids who go in nice jeans or adults in a more casual outfit. I know some people who just dont' like to dress up but they don't want to miss church because of it. But I have also seen guys who look like they were going to work to install cable too which is not right.

Beth said...

Amen sista!

Tammy said...

Agree!

Tracey said...

Hmmm. This is one of the reasons I no longer attend a place of organized religion. When others are looking at what I wear and thinking about it instead of communing with God, then the worship becomes less of a focus. No offense, seriously! I totally understand what you're getting at. I believe that proper attire, when possible, is important in most situations. But the churches I attended? Everything from a big Catholic one to a small-town Methodist one, the attire became a focus instead of feeling God in my heart. So I talk with God at home, in my jammies or in my fancy clothes. Whenever the mood strikes and without anyone judging me.

Be happy those teenagers are attending church at ALL. Hopefully, a little bit of spiritual awareness will sink in no matter what they're wearing!

Tracey said...

Hmmmmm. Hope that didn't sound preachy or mean. Sorry if it did!

Well I Do Declare said...

I completely agree!!! I can't understand how some churches have gotten so lax. Luckily the church I go to is pretty traditional, but I still know what you mean!

Thanks for the notes while I was gone. I am looking forward to getting all caught up with you and Mimi (Tom-Tom too of course, I am just partial to Mimi's name :)

The Mrs. said...

I was just talking about this to someone from church! Last Sunday (couldn't make ash wed service) there was a girl in SHORT running shorts and a Ts shirt with a head band. COME ON! I do go to a casual church but it pisses he off. Have some decorum! Geez Louise!~

Joanne said...

Honestly, I don't really mind the jeans being worn. I'm more on teh page that I'm happy they are going. I do agree, with looking good, no holes, ball caps, general disarray .... Look put together and nice !!

skywind said...

Although I am not religious, but I also know that the church is a solemn place. Should wear formal clothes, should not be wearing some casual wear. But now, people have become accustomed to leisure, has forgotten to wear is the time for loading.

http://eyesinkaleidoscope.blogspot.com/
http://fymtyh.blogspot.com/

Lipstick said...

Amen!!! seriously, teenagers have no business being scantily clad at church.

Lyndsay said...

While I love not having the pressure to REALLY DRESS-UP for church, I hate to see the attire that some people decide to wear.

BTW, I LOVE the dress in this post ;)

Toni said...

I have slacked on this to an extent(not with my own family but as I see others.) We sometimes visit a small community church where my Granny goes and most of the men have on jeans.

My exception to not really thinking about what people have on is modesty!!!! One of the women at church a couple of Sundays ago had on a dress so short I actually did a triple take!!! Now, said woman has a nice figure and MAYBE outside of church I would have only done a double take but at Church - I was really shocked.