Monday, March 02, 2009

My new idea...

As you may know Princess Mimi is enrolled in a two-day preschool program. Tom-Tom was going once a week but I had to pull him out for the remainder of the year (doctor's orders).

Over the past few days, I've been thinking about the summer and how to keep the kids "learning" while not in preschool.

I began searching online and came across this great FREE curriculum for preschoolers aged 2 to 4: http://www.letteroftheweek.com/Preparatory_Outline.html. This particular program that I am interested in is 26-weeks long.


Well I figured out if I started Tom-Tom now, we'd finish up right about the time school starts up in the Fall. Of course, I'll go ahead and include Princess Mimi in the fun, too. The author/creator has everything completely laid out and so organized. She even links to free coloring pages on the internet. (It's amazing!)

I am thinking it will take no more than 30 minutes every Sunday evening to print out the lessons & prepare, and about 20 to 30 minutes each day to actually teach. (I do work in the office each Wednesday, which is alphabet day, but I can print coloring sheets for the sitter and we can chat in the car about the letter).

So I ran to the store on Friday and picked up a bulletin board to hang in Tom-Tom's room. Each week I can put the letter, number, shape or color on the board for him to look at!

Week 1 - Lesson # 1: cows, calf, square, A, 1, Hey Diddle Diddle

15 comments:

Angry Julie Monday said...

Cute idea!

tollesons4him said...

What a great idea and I am sure he gets all excited when it's time for a new letter!!!

~~Mel~~ said...

It's often hard to keep our kids learning when they are not in school...the internet is a great tool!

Love your bulletin board idea too.

Farmer*swife said...

Look at you GO! I did some stuff like this when my kids were at home. It was fun...

Gosh, I'm so glad and loving them growing but I am starting to miss some of the littler days.

*sigh* I love being a Mom.

Tammy said...

Great ideas to keep your pre-schoolers motivated and learning all summer long.

skywind said...

Of children's education is essential. But how to educate children, each person has his own method, but do not know are correct or wrong it. :)

http://eyesinkaleidoscope.blogspot.com/
http://fymtyh.blogspot.com/

Lipstick said...

so cool...thanks for sharing the link!

Live.Love.Eat said...

That's a wonderful idea. We were just discussing last night that if I don't find a job in the next couple of months then we may pull Tristan from the summer program where he goes to school now and have him stay home with me. He goes everyday to Pre-K but will graduate in May and be done for the summer until Kindergarten. This would be a nice way to have him continue to learn.

Kim said...

That is a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Missy said...

That is a great idea! Your children are very lucky to have a mother pro-actively trying to prepare them for their futures :)

Swoozie said...

Omigosh! I love the link you shared! I am sometimes just amazed at all the awesome things that are available on the net. My 2 1/2 year old son will love doing all this fun stuff! Thanks for sharing....Swoozie

Cascia said...

I'm homeschooling my daughter in preschool and it is a lot of work, but rewarding. Good luck on your preschool homeschooling journey! It looks like you found a great site. I love your bulletin board.

Lindsey said...

Love the website you shared...it's great. I may need to try something like this during the summer months.

The Mrs. said...

That is such a brilliant idea!

Toni said...

I think this is a great idea!!! I am going to implement it here!