Friday, October 23, 2009

Heaven Welcomed a New Angel...

This morning, my great aunt passed away. Her name was Eleanor and she was just shy of her 97th birthday. She was my grandmother's sister. In fact, there were five sisters total and Eleanor was the last angel to be sent up to Heaven.

Eleanor was a hoot! She always had the best stories to tell me: stories about Mardi Gras long ago in New Orleans, stories about my grandmother dating my grandfather, and the time her and my uncle brought my parents to dinner at Commander's Palace and sat next to Billy Joel and Christie Brinkley. Her favorite story to tell was about Harry Connick Jr bringing her autographed CDs a few Christmases back (he grew up a few doors away.).

When it came to sports, Eleanor would blow your mind! She knew more stats than any lady - heck maybe any guy - I have known.

Although it is a sad day, I know she had a full life and I know she is so happy to be reunited with her sisters. I can almost hear them laughing above as they reconnect.

Aunt Eleanor, I love you and will miss you!
My favorite memory was in 2002, when I flew into New Orleans to see my family for Christmas. Eleanor had recently gone through some boxes in her attic and had found all these great old hats. (She was one stylish lady back in the day!) We had a blast trying them on (picture below Eleanor, me, my dad, and my dad's sister).

3 comments:

Deelsu said...

What a sweet post. I bet she had some great stories to tell for sure! Very cool about Harry.. I'm in love with him :)

Jules said...

so sorry. Stories from our older family members are ALWAYS the best. But I bet she IS having a good time with her sisters.

Scarlet O'Kara said...

I'm so very sorry for your loss, but your post was a wonderful way to remember. My prayers for your Great Aunt and all of her loved ones...