Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Sclerotherapy (Spider vein treatment): My Story

Ever since I delivered my children, I have noticed small spider veins in my legs. They are pale and don't bother me much. However, a couple are more noticable. Recently, I saw a segment on the Dr. Oz show where a lady had her veins removed with a simple injection so did some research.





Today, I had the injections done; it's called sclerotherapy. I paid for 40 injections but we stopped around 15 injections (I am a wuss, ha). It did sting a little, but I know it will be worth it in the end. (I truly didn't think I had that many veins but I have never inspected the back of my legs, ha. The doctor pointed out several I had never even noticed). I go back for the remainder of the injections next week. (I salute the ladies who can get it done in one sitting, I am not that brave, ha)




My doctor does not require compression doctors post-procedure (thank God; it's quite hot in Florida.) Instead she puts on very tight compression tape, which I had to keep on for two hours (no that is not cellulite on my legs; the bandages are that tight). I was also encourage to exercise, and NOT rest.I will have a few red marks and/or bruises for 2 or 3 weeks. Here you can see a few bruises on my lower calf (at the injection site) so will wear crop pants the next few days, not shorts, so I don't freak others out. You can also see a few smaller veins that we haven't gotten to you yet (again, I will go back next week to finish).I never thought I would have a "cosmetic procedure" done but am glad I did it! I will post more picutres next week.

6 comments:

Jules said...

I need to get it done too. UGH

Tobi said...

Hi, Jennifer! How are you doing now? You're a great woman to consider both your health and beauty at the same time. Spider veins, if left alone, can damage your legs so it's nice that you took time to have that operation.



Tobi Fistcher

Steve Hodge said...

Nice post, very helpful for us.I will come back here again & again...:)
Also, to know more about venous reflux disease symptoms, spider veins
& varicose veins.......

Terry said...

We have different levels of tolerance, Jeniffer. So if you think 15 injections in one sitting is enough, then it is enough. ;) By the way, how many sessions have you gone through? Sclerotherapy indeed does bring pain after the session, and the fact that you have to wear compression socks could be annoying to some. Nonetheless, the treatment has proven its effectiveness. I hope that's what happened in your case! -->Terry

Kim_Burns said...

I know it hurts a lot. But I hope you could also share more of your experiences like how was the procedure done and it's images and stuff. But I really appreciate your blog. Thanks a lot. - spider vein removal patient

White Rock Laser Clinic said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.