Friday, April 10, 2020

Fun and quick recipe for Easter Bread.


For the past several years, I have made this Easter Egg bread with my daughter. I had so much fun and hope your try it this year!  This is the RECIPE I follow, but with some modifications (keep reading below!): http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Braided-Easter-Egg-Bread/Detail.aspx





When I first started making the bread years ago, I would do it all by hand -- even the kneading. (Since then I have a stand-up Kitchen Aid mixer that does the kneading for me. Time saver.)  But if you don't have a mixer, don't fret.  Just keep extra flour on hand.  You don't want to let the bread get too sticky. 


Let's talk about the dyed eggs! I have a few suggestions. 

1. I prefer to dye RAW eggs.  They will cook as the bread bakes in the oven. You can use already boiled, dyed eggs but I find they get too hard and don't taste as good. Some folks even insert the eggs at the very end (after the bread bakes) but personally I don't think it looks as pretty. 

2. Whether you use raw or hard boiled eggs, dye the eggs for a long time!! Don't be afraid to leave the eggs in the dye for an hour or longer. Make sure you get a nice, rich color on the eggs. 

3.  Once the right color, remove eggs from the dye, wipe down the eggs and make sure they are completely dry. Then rub a little vegetable oil or butter on your eggs before inserting into the twisted dough. Not sure why, but I find this keeps the dye from running onto the bread. 

4. If your family doesn't like eggs, try using only 3 or 4 eggs.  You don't have to use 5. 

5. Which Easter egg dye is best? Well, I find the pellet/tablet dye doesn't work as well here.  I prefer to use drops of food coloring and vinegar. 



I always brush with a touch of melted butter before baking. 
Some folks like to add sesame seeds or honey.  It's your choice. 

The recipe says to bake for 50 minutes.  That is way too long.  
I usually bake for 25 to 30 minutes. 

DELISH!!! Our family digs it right away.  
It makes a great centerpiece on your Easter table.