Today, my family took a little road trip to Mount Dora. The quaint town is about a 30 to 45 minute drive north of Orlando. It is known for tea rooms and antique shopping. However, we chose to indulge in desserts!
Sunday, April 24, 2016
Updated with a new introduction and amazing photography, the bestselling, self-published cookbook by Lucy Buffett (chef sister of Jimmy Buffett) includes amazing recipes from her destination restaurant in Gulf Shores, Alabama.
Packed with more than 120 signature recipes from Lucy's famous Gulf Coast restaurant, LuLu's, WITH LOVE FROM LULU'S KITCHEN is the next best thing to being there. Tucked inside are humorous stories, and plenty of wit and wisdom from Lucy's own kitchen. The book features party menus, Buffett Family favorites, and lots of telling it like it is. Renowned novelist Tom McGuane contributes engaging essays that blend smoothly with the spicy dishes and distinctive drinks.
Recipes include soul-satisfying Southern delights like West Indies Salad, Perfect Fried Shrimp, Blackened Grouper Sandwich, Garlic Cheese Grits, Silver Queen Succotash, and Heavenly Fried Crab Claws. And there's a whole chapter on 25 specialty drinks, including "Bama Breeze" and "LuLu's Painkiller."
Author Bio: Lucy Buffett is a restaurateur of the award winning, fun-loving LuLu’s which serves more than one million guests a year at two locations, one in Gulf Shores, Alabama and the other in Destin, Florida. Lucy has also been recognized for her tireless work on behalf of sustainability and the environment. However, the greatest passion of this self-proclaimed gypsy rebel and reluctant entrepreneur is cooking good food for the people she loves. LuLu's Kitchen: A Taste of the Gulf Coast Good Life (formerly Crazy Sista Cooking) is her first cookbook and is full of recipes and stories that made her restaurant the famous destination it is today. You can find more information on Lucy at www.LucyBuffett.com.
at 8:29 AM
Thursday, April 14, 2016
Okay, you can’t just give your mom Epsom salt for Mother’s Day, but you can put together one of these great gift baskets tailored to her interests:
- For moms who Namaste: Fill a basket with a pretty pair of yoga leggings and tank top, a yoga mat, reusable water bottle, Lärabars, and a carton of Epsom salt to ease sore muscles after a tough class.
- Include these directions on the card: 1. Add 2 cups of Epsom salt to a warm bath in a standard-sized bathtub. 2. Soak for at least 12 minutes. 3. Feel your muscles relax and unwind.
- For moms with a green thumb: Buy a pair of gardening gloves, a weed puller, shovel, kneeling mat, seeds, and a carton of Epsom salt to help plants grow greener and deliver lush blooms.
- Include these directions on the card: 1. Enrich soil by sprinkling 1 cup of Epsom salt per every 100 square feet of dirt. 2. Mix well into soil before planting. 3. Enjoy a beautiful, rich garden.
- For moms who need a little “me-time”: For busy moms, give them a night off with a stack of their favorite magazines, a bottle of wine (or a box of their favorite tea), chocolates, essential oils, and a carton of Epsom salt to help soak the day away.
- Include these directions on the card: 1. Add two cups of Epsom salt to your bathwater in a standard-sized tub. 2. Soak for at least 12 minutes. 3. Feel relaxed and sleep like a baby.
at 1:14 PM
Sunday, April 03, 2016
So apparently this is been around for two or three years, but I just heard about it this year! It is a "Easter egg hunt" at Epcot. You walk to EACH country to find a hidden egg and once you find it, you put a sticker on your map. At the end of the hunt, you receive ONE special Disney plastic egg! The cost is $5.95. (Today, April 3 was the LAST day for this season, but hopefully you can check it out next Spring!)
Here are a few of the eggs we spotted around Epcot. (The eggs are about 2 feet tall, and most are higher up on buildings, but I won't to give away all the secrets.)